Since the first of the year I have had seven women between the ages of 42 and 60 come in to talk to me about struggling to lose weight. Most said they are not sleeping, all said they have about given up on exercise, two said they are depressed, and I can go on and on. If you are over the age of 45 and female you have been or are there.
Let’s talk menopause, shall we?
Is menopause a sentence to misery and weight gain? NO. Is your body going to change? Yes. Are there some things that as some of the women have been told by their docs “deal with it until it passes.” Unfortunately, yes. This does not mean you have to ride quietly through menopause.
One woman stopped in to see me a few weeks back, number six. Number six was frustrated and disappointed. She is following “Eat by Color” almost perfectly and is doing my “Eat by Color” weight loss challenge at FitWorkz. I asked if she had gained weight. She said no, but that she is not losing weight either. Number six is the only one of the seven that has NOT gained weight. Hello, Eureka….she is not losing weight but not gaining either. This in and of itself is a victory. Maybe not the victory she wanted but given the alternative, weight gain not so bad either.
What does someone like me, male, almost 37 know about menopause? Quite a bit. Here are some tips for Change Management:
- · The medical community is just now starting to invest more into understanding menopause, answers are coming, hang in there
- · Most doctors are male, and no, we males really don’t understand you J
- o I am sure you already knew this one
- · Food and exercise can go a LONG way to stopping or reducing some of the changes
- o “Eat by Color” teaches how to make the right food choices and has three workouts!
- · Read and educate yourself
- o What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause
- · A social network of other women can create the ultimate exchange of what works, what doesn’t, and what you can expect with the change *chances are this social network will offer more info than your doc*
- o Your Network
- o You are not alone find others in the same boat and row together!
- · Supplements can help
- o Evening Primrose Oil
- o Flax Oil
- o Fish Oil
- · Change is definite
- · There is a light at the end of the tunnel
- · You will have to fight your way through the change
Your hormones will eventually settle down, until then do what you can. The more you do now the less weight you will gain and the less miserable the experience. Plus, when you are on the other side you will be in a much better position. You will have the tools and knowledge to change your body the way you want it.
This article is the courtesy of Raymond M. Binkowski former fat guy, author of “Eat by Color”, personal trainer and owner of FitWorkz. Its intent is to be shared. If sharing the previous following statement MUST be included any time this article is reproduced in part or entirety. So please feel free to share, you just might change a life!